Sunday, January 20, 2013

Prepping for Biography Book Clubs

My students are currently in the middle of the Series Book Clubs.  I have noted the successes they have achieved and the mistakes I made in organizing and implementing book clubs.  Our next Reading Workshop unit is Biography Book Clubs and the study of narrative nonfiction.  This is a new genre for me. I have been teaching for 16 years and I am sad to say that I have not ever taught this genre before. I have done numerous lessons on biography and on nonfiction and on narrative writing, but I have never taught biography as narrative nonfiction.  Biography Book Clubs do not start until February 4, but I decided I needed to get a jump-start on my lesson plans since this is an unfamiliar genre.


I once again referenced my wonderful Teachers College Reading and Writing Project manual. I turned to Unit 6 and began highlighting and jotting away!




Here are the anchor charts I have made so far. 
The information is from pages 102-104.












3 comments:

  1. I really dont like to read blogs. But when I found your post, I started to like it. I found it interesting and informative. Thank you for the effort in posting this kind of information.

    Laiza
    www.imarksweb.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Very interesting topics, I hope the incoming comments and suggestion are equally positive. Thank you for sharing this information that is actually helpful.


    ufgop.org
    ufgop.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I think now I have a strong hold over the topic after going through the post. The subject that you have discussed in the post is really amazing; I will surely come back for more information.

    Sienna
    www.gofastek.com

    ReplyDelete