Sunday, January 6, 2013

Navigating Nonfiction Assessments

During the Lucy Calkins' 3-5 Reading Workshop Unit titled Navigating Through Nonfiction, I used the leveled passages found on the resource CD to assess my students in their use of nonfiction strategies and skills. Each child received a passage based on his or her Fountas and Pinnell guided reading level. They used a large sticky note to make a "box and bullet" jotting to identify the main idea and supporting details. This was scored using a rubric (I have found that rubrics are the best way for me to grade assessments in a Balanced Literacy framework because my school district uses percentage-based grades for report cards).

The students filled out the Responding to Nonfiction form to measure if they were able to deconstruct a nonfiction passage. They had to check off the nonfiction text features found in the passage, activate prior knowledge, ask questions to help guide their reading, and locate new vocabulary.  I am sorry I do not have the link to this form--I did download it for free from Teachers Pay Teachers.

 
Students and families appreciate being able to read feedback after completing an assessment.












No comments:

Post a Comment