Sunday, January 11, 2015

These Are A Few of My Favorite Things

This is a jumbled post that is meant to share ideas...just give names of apps, books, and games that are at the top of my favorites list in the classroom. Some are at the top of my teacher list, but the majority are favorites of my students as well.
 
 
Decide Now is a customizable spinning wheel app. I use it to call on students. I am currently working on a Q & A spinner set up to resemble the current pop phenomenon know as Trivia Crack.
 
 
This book is wonderfully useful because it gives ready-made anchor charts for a variety of reading strategies, but I love to reference it when creating my own charts.
 
 
 
This app is called Classroom Timer Lite.  I can't remember if it was free or not.  I subscribe to an app called Apps Gone Free which offers me daily deals, so I think I found the timer through that.  If it did cost money I know it was cheap because I normally don't spend much on apps.
 
 
 
This classroom management app is a fantastic tool. I like it because it helps students stay on task. It does not make them stay quiet.  My classroom is rarely quiet because students should be talking, questioning, and discussing. This app allows you to customize your noise level preferenes.
 
 
The following is a list of apps that my students use in the classroom:
  • Kids Discover (several topics and titles)
  • Baloney! (multiple subjects and grade levels)
  • Crazy Machines (science and engineering)
  • iTooch (multiple subjects and grade levels)
  • Far Faria (books)
  • Frontier Heroes (history)
  • Geography Drive (social studies)
  • Mr. Nussbaum (multiple subjects and grade levels)
  • My Talking Pet (I use it for creating talking characters)
  • New-o-Matic (current events)
  • Puffin Academy and RAZ Kids are programs purchased by my district
  • Reading Timer
  • Stack the States (social studies)
  • Word Wizard (spelling)
  • World Atlas

Anomia is a great game to build vocabulary and get the brain revved up for learning.  I use it at the start of class each day. Sometimes we share our ideas orally, but usually students write their ideas in their Reading Notebooks.
 
 
I love using the app Plickers to quickly assess students using multiple choice and T/F questions.  It is paperless and engaging with immediate feedback for students and teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment