Sunday, October 24, 2021

I Do Not Have the Words

Last Thursday my students were leaving the classroom to line up in the hallway for bus dismissal.  A boy went behind me and his rolling bookbag swept my feet out from under me. I fell and landed on my wrist and elbow.  I wasn't hurt physically, just sore.  My heart was hurt though because one of my students pointed and laughed at me while I was on the floor.  My teammate took my students out to the bus lot. I went in my classroom and closed the door as tears ran down my face.

I do not have the words to describe how hurt I felt by this boy's laughing and pointing.  I am a 47 year old woman who had her feelings hurt by a 9 year old boy.  I am a professional educator and he is an immature child.  Why did this hurt me so badly? I guess I feel that I have taught him better.  I preach empathy for others. My classroom runs on caring and kindness.  I know that it was probably his initial reaction, but the fact that it was so public just sliced even harder.  

The next morning, the boy who laughed at me walked up with a very serious look on his face. He said, "I am really sorry for laughing at you when you fell yesterday."  He handed me a folded up piece of paper.  I read it and once again he caused tears in my eyes.  

I do not have the words to describe how touched I was by this genuine apology.  I'm not crying...you're crying.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment