Monday, November 11, 2013

Character Traits the Common Core Way

One of the more difficult skills to teach third graders is to reference the text and provide evidence for their thoughts. During our current unit, I think I have encouraged and/or required my students a million times to show evidence from the text .
 
I try to provide them with a variety of activities to practice this skill. Some students catch on to the skill and are able to use it simply by writing a jotting on a sticky note. Other students need a template while still others must have a fill-in activity sheet to follow exact steps in a process.
 
Whatever type of response my students use, I always post examples on the Focus Board so they can reference it whenever they need to during their Independent Reading time.
 
 
During the unit, I was on Pinterest searching for some anchor charts to use. I found a couple of ideas I liked and tweaked them to create my own charts.
 
 
Pinterest Chart--above

 
 
 


My own chart--above

 
Student response activity after a lesson using the anchor chart
 

Pinterest Chart--above

 
My own chart--above
 
 
Student response after a lesson using the anchor chart
 
 
Student response after a lesson using the anchor chart
 
 
Student response after a lesson using the anchor chart...and what I discussed with the student during conferencing
 
 
This is what one student wrote about the character traits for the dog, Winn Dixie, in our read aloud lesson! Check out what he said for the evidence!

 

 
Students posting their jots about character traits

 
Student jots
 
 
Student jots
 
 
I conferenced with the student about how to find evidence in the text.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment