Sunday, February 3, 2013

Read Aloud Prep for Narrative Nonfiction

As I prepared for my read aloud during the new unit featuring narrative nonfiction, I came across a book I bought at a Scholastic warehouse sale--Rosa by Nikki Giovanni. Great author, Caldecott Honor Book, Coretta Scott King Award Winner, complex text (Fountas and Pinnell Level T)--seemed like a great pick to me!

I read the book and created my jottings to share with students based on my teaching points in the unit. These jottings were written on blue sticky notes. Then I read it again and created green sticky note tabs to mark relationships in the book because my students have been struggling with sequential events, cause/effect, and inferencing.

This book is informative and interesting. I never knew that the buses had a separate entrance in the back, that Rosa was actually sitting in the neutral area of the bus, or that people across the country sent shoes and jackets to the boycotters since they had to walk everywhere.









 
Rumplestiltskin may be an unfamiliar tale to some of my students so I may need to do a quick retell.







































No comments:

Post a Comment