Sunday, September 29, 2013

Hook 'Em With a Contest

Last week in Reading Workshop I taught my students what to do when they encounter a tricky word in their reading.
 
 
Then they practiced using the strategy while they read during Independent Reading. They wrote jottings when they found tricky words in their books. 

 
To create some fun in the classroom, I used the Contest Hook from the book Teach Like a Pirate. I challenged the students to find wonderfully amazing words everywhere they go.
 
 
I made it a contest by telling my two blocks of students that they were competing against each other to see which group of students could find the most cool words. The first day of the contest was a word frenzy! I even had to make my mid-workshop teaching point a reminder that our purpose for reading was to understand the stories, not just write down words.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment