Sunday, September 15, 2013

Teach With an Accent!

I have been documenting my use of teaching hooks after reading the book Teach Like a Pirate. I added my own twist to the Drama Hook by using a strange sort of British-sounding scholarly accent when I introduce new vocabulary. These are not content words, just words that I as a teacher use in my lesson. After I use the words in my lessons, I add them to a small pocket chart with a reminder of how I used the word in a lesson.
 
Third graders love new words that they have never heard before and for some reason they really like to hear these words said with a strange sort of Julia Child and Sherlock Holmes blended accent. Now that I have used it a couple of times, the students know to expect that I am using a new word when I start to talk in the accent. I am not really sure where it came from, but they like it so I will keep using it!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment