Friday, January 20, 2012

Literacy Centered

My centers are all literacy-based, but several have Social Studies, Science, and Math connections. I teach third graders who range in reading ability from pre-primer to fifth grade so, there are a variety of levels to differentiate for my students' needs.  The centers also accommodate a variety of learning styles.  This allows all children to enjoy the centers and be successful.  The centers are easily adapted to your grade level's curriculum and your students' abilities.

An important component to using centers in your classroom is student accountability. Administration and parents will often ask you how you make sure the students are working and not just playing around in the centers. I hold my students accountable for their work in centers by requiring them to fill out a record sheet.  I show the students that I value their work in centers by displaying their work products in the classroom.  I also take pictures of them working in centers and post them on the class website.

Literacy Center Record Sheet

Date
Name
What Did You Do?












No comments:

Post a Comment