Sunday, September 9, 2012

Be a Reading Celebrity for Your Students

During the introductory lessons about building a reading life in the Lucy Calkins series, the students hang on my every word when I am sharing stories and tips about myself as a reader.  Several parents have contacted me to ask about exact book titles their children come home telling them about! One of my students said that he has been lining up his toys in his bedroom to make a meeting area and he reads to them at night.  Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.
 
I want to share with you the idea of being a reading super star with your students. Please read the link below that will take you to a blog that talks about branding yourself as a reader as if you were a Kardashian sister.  The point that stuck most with me after reading this blog was that girls across the world think that if they look like the Kardashians they will will be as beautiful and successful as these sisters.  So as teachers, why don't we become rock stars and super models for these kids?!  Chris Lehman, the author of the blog, post has some valid points! 
 

What the Kardashians Taught Me About Reading Instruction (No, for Real) by Christopher Lehman

No comments:

Post a Comment